Friday, November 5, 2010

Service Learning Activism Log, Entry Four.

1) Yesterday, I tabled at Diva Invasion for Animal Safehouse. We only kept our table up until the pre-show at eight, and this was probably not the best event for raising awareness about our cause or collecting donations, since generally, people were just trying to get seats, so while almost all of the progressive organizations on campus were represented, from NORML to College Democrats, the most we did was pass out a few cards, with a severely truncated accompanying verbal description to accomodate the lack of time. Regardless, this event was aimed much more towards creating a supportive presence for a great cause, which benefits one of the organizations I care about most, Zebra Coalition, than any efforts of self-promotion, so I was happy to lend my support. I still need to get in touch with Abigail to set up some times to work on grant-writing, but for now, this event puts me at seventeen hours towards Animal Safehouse, so this is my last log for this class, though I may add any grant-writing I do in the future towards my other twenty-four hours with ASH I plan to do this month.

2) Animal Safehouse's financial structure is such that it relies entirely on the kindness of others to remain operational. As mentioned above, this event was not the best choice for fundraising, or even gaining volunteers, compared to, say, VegFest, but creating a presence in solidarity with RSOs on campus, in lieu of gaining that status ourselves, enabling us to table and raise awareness on campus, unattached to major events, is best way to bring about a level of understanding about the vitality of women's issues. Violence against women will always be a huge issue, and there is little visibility for what is an incredibly large problem. I've noticed a pattern when explaining Animal Safehouse to people. Almost everyone comments on what a great idea it is, but for the most part, compassion to the point of contribution comes from a personal place, be it a profound love of animals, or some sort of experience with gender violence. I've begun to examine financial endeavors, even those in conjunction with non-profit organizations, in terms of what people think they stand to gain from contribution. Hopefully, that isn't too cynical, but it certainly informs my lens for perception of capitalism as a system in which we all unwittingly operate. Women in these situations will often be helpless, as they have "'learned' that it is impossible to escape" (Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 264), and it seems that many people have first-hand experience with this level of desperation. As long as there is intimate partner violence and ways of one person asserting dominance over another in what should be a loving relationship, this will continue to be an issue.

3) I had a really great time at Diva Invasion. As volunteers, my partner and I were in priority seating, and she and I found out we're most likely taking a sociology class together next semester. I don't know what else I'm doing with Animal Safehouse, other than tabling at Publix two weeks from now, but I feel as though I've gained a lot, in terms of marketing a cause and promoting it within certain subsets of people (the animal rights activists at VegFest, the progressives at Diva Invasion), and that is invaluable life experience.


Works Cited

Kirk, Gwyn, and Okazawa-Rey, Margo. Women’s Lives: Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010.

Word Count: 575

1 comment: